|What Is Krill Oil And What Can It do For You?
As the name suggests, krill oil is extracted from a tiny, shrimp-like animal. Krill oil is a superior source of omega-3 fatty acids, which benefits our overall health in so many ways.What’s so extraordinary about krill oil is that it takes all the benefits of standard fish oil and considerably increases its overall effectiveness with a series of unique properties. Research suggests that almost everyone can benefit from krill oil, with a dose starting at 500mg per day. Higher doses are recommended for lowering triglycerides and reducing symptoms of PMS.
The Benefits of Krill Oil
- Bioavailability – The composition of krill oil is different to that of fish oil. Omega-3 fatty acids in krill oil attach to phospholipids, whereas fish oil omega-3’s attach to triglycerides, which in simple terms makes the krill oil omega-3 easier to absorb.
- Improved Cardiovascular Health – The omega-3 found in krill oil has long been associated with improvement to cardiovascular health, including the lowering of LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, the reducing of triglyceride levels and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol levels. The anticoagulant effect of omega-3 is also beneficial in preventing blood clots which can cause strokes and heart attacks.
- Anti-Inflammatory- Extensive studies have shown how effective krill oil can be in the reduction and prevention of inflammation. Scientists suggest that omega-3 is converted by the body up into eicosanoids – powerful hormones which are responsible for several important purposes within the body including the release of anti-inflammatory prostaglandins.
- Stability- Krill oil contains astaxanthin – a powerful antioxidant that keeps the compound stable and prevents it from spoiling both in your stomach and in your cupboard. And of course, the benefits of antioxidants for the human body are equally well-documented.Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant that supports a healthy immune system, improves ‘good’ cholesterol, preserves eye health, lowers inflammation, and can even improve workout performance, endurance, and recovery time.
- Neurological Development in Infants – Pregnant mothers are often recommended by their family doctors to increase their omega-3 consumption in order to benefit the neurological development of their unborn infants. The brain, central nervous system, and eyes of both unborn and newly-delivered babies rely heavily on omega-3 fatty acids for strong development.
- Purity – While many fish oils contain detectable levels of toxins like mercury, krill oil does not. This is due to the position of krill in the marine food chain as these tiny creatures feed only on phytoplankton which do not contain mercury. In fact, omega-3 sourced from krill is considered to be the purest on the planet.
- PMS Symptom Reduction – The anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3 fatty acids have also been linked with a reduction in the unpleasant physical symptoms of PMS. Scientists are still not entirely sure exactly how and why omega-3 has such an effect on PMS symptoms, though it is theorized that the answer lies in the regulating and balancing of hormones.
- Sustainability – Weighing in at an impressive 500 million tons, tiny krill amount to the world’s largest single biomass. Each year, less than one percent of the world’s total krill are taken and utilized for oil extraction and research purposes, resulting in a uniquely abundant and sustainable source of omega-3.
- Better Absorption The Vitamin Patch Adult Multi-Vitamin plus Omega-3 fatty acids is a time-released, topical patch. This means that absorption of the all natural vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids go directly into your system.
Lastly, several studies have linked both EPA and DHA with anti-depressive effects and mood and enhancement. This again is theorized to be the result of omega-3 leading to an increase in corticotropin-releasing hormone levels, which along with a boost in the dopamine and serotonin levels can have a marked effect on mood and perhaps even combat depression.
SOURCES: WEBMD.com, Health Talk Fox News, Dr. Dennis Goodman, MD.
TheVitaminPatch.com is not affiliated with any of the above mentioned sources. All Copyrighted materials are the sole property of their respective source.
This information has not been evaluated or approved by the FDA and is not necessarily based on scientific evidence from any source. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These products intend to support general wellbeing and do not in-tend to treat, diagnose, mitigate, prevent, or cure any condition or disease.
|Watch the interview with Dr. Dennis Goodman on “Healthy Talk” Fox News – the benefits of krill oil